In this article, we are discussing the question of how long does it take for collagen supplements to work? But firstly I will explain what is Collagen? Keep reading for amazing information.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is the hard, insoluble, and fibrous protein in the human body. It comprises about one-third of its protein composition. It works as the building block of bones, skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. In most collagens, the molecules pack together to form long, thin fibrils.
It is like the “glue” that holds all these things together. Actually, the word comes from the Greek word “kólla,” which means glue. Collagen holds the body firm together. Collagen forms a scaffold to act as supporting structures and anchor cells to each other. They give the skin strength and elasticity.
Endogenous collagen is a natural collagen and produces by the body. It has many important functions. Breakdown and depletion link to some health problems.
Exogenous collagen is synthetic. It comes from an external root such as supplements. Exogenous collagen used for medical and cosmetic purposes. It is also used for the repair of body tissues.
What Does Collagen Do in Your Body?
There are at least 16 types of collagen. The main four types of collagen are type I, II, III, and IV.
Let us discuss the four main types of collagen and their roles in your body:
Type I. This type accounts for 90% of your body’s collagen and made of dense-packed fibers. It sustains structure to skin, teeth, bones, fibrous cartilage, connective tissue, and tendons.
Type II. This type made of more loose-packed fibers. It locates in elastic cartilage, which cushions your joints.
Type III. This type provides the structure of muscles, organs, and arteries.
Type IV. This type helps with filtration and locates in the layers of your skin.
Within the age, your body produces lower quality and a lesser amount of collagen. One of the distinct marks of this is in your skin, which becomes less firm and pliable. Cartilage also weakens with age.
How Long Does it Take For Collagen Supplements to Work?
Collagen supplements have become popular. The reason is that they are versatile in nature and have many benefits. The main confusing thing for people is the length of time required for the effects to observe. Thus we are going to discuss about collagen supplements.
How long does it take for collagen supplements to get underway?
We will discuss this in a few parts:
Short-term – within 30 minutes after taking the supplements.
Long-term – within 2 to 4 months.
It is important to remember that it takes time to notice the effects. And it depends on the collagen levels in the body. The lesser the collagen levels, the faster the person will observe the change. Thus, older people tend to notice more benefits in a shorter period of time. While younger people will observe the less drastic change.
Collagen Supplements Short Term Effects:
- Collagen supplements design to be fast-acting.
- Experts say that upon reaching the 15th minute after taking a collagen supplement. The collagen supplement will have reached the bloodstream.
- After 30 minutes, it will be in the muscles, and after 90 minutes, the proteins will be at full capacity.
- A boost in energy will be evident as well. Its enormous effect is that collagen lessens the feeling of hunger. It also decreases the appetite. It can be effective for weight loss and dieting.
Collagen Supplements Long Term Effects:
- The long-term effects of collagen supplements happen in approximately two months. While many people see the effects earlier.
- You should start to notice healthier skin, fuller, longer hair, and stronger nails.
- There should be a prominent difference in joint flexibility, muscle strength, bone density.
When you consume collagen supplements, collagen is not transported well around your body. First of all your body crack the protein down into its component peptides. These peptides can then use by the body to produce collagen in its tissues. When you take collagen peptides instead of plain collagen supplements. It means that some of this work has already done. Collagen peptides are smoother to use for the body and are more bio-available. Above all, peptides are a form of pre-digested collagen. This deduces to make collagen peptide supplements more potent than collagen alone.
Taking Collagen supplements is safe and effective. This is a way to improve the health of skin, joints, hair, and nails. But with any supplement, one must concern about the effectiveness of that supplement. And how long does it take for collagen supplements to work? In a clear way, the time it takes for collagen peptides to get underway on enrich skin, joints, & hair can vary. It depends upon extraneous (environmental factors) and innate (genes):
- Exposure to sun and pollutants.
- Dietary Habits.
- Smoking or Alcohol consumption.
- Lack of sleep and hydration.
- Poor Skincare habits.
- The rate of collagen breaks down in the body.
- Skin ability to maintain moisture.
- Speed of skin cell regeneration.
- How fast your skin recovers from skin damage.
Above are the factors that can tell how long it will take collagen supplements to work on your body. But the good thing is, the number of characters you can control is longer than those you cannot.
Let’s discuss about the effectiveness of collagen supplements on skin and joints.
Collagen Supplements For Skin:
Most of the skin texture made up of collagen. It is a primary component of connective tissue and helps keep your skin looking young. Supplementing your skin with collagen daily can
- Keep your skin firm and tight.
- Provides flexibility that avoids fine lines and wrinkles.
- Slow the process of Skin aging.
- Repair daily Skin damage due to extraneous factors.
- Lend natural glow on skin 24*7.
Collagen Supplements For Joint Health:
Collagen works as a vital element in the building of joint cartilage. It may have anti-inflammatory effects. To a large extent, it locates in joints, which are areas of the body more prone to wear and tear. Taking collagen supplements can be great for joint health in many ways like:
- Provides smoother functioning of joints.
- Strengthen bones and joints.
- Ease pain due to arthritis, osteoarthritis, or other joint disorders.
- Countering morning joints inflexibility and ache at night.
- Provides support for the growing up and reform of cartilage tissue.
Benefits Of Collagen Supplements:
Two types of collagen supplements are gaining popularity — hydrolyzed collagen and gelatin. Gelatin creates when collagen cooks. These have already cracked the large protein down into smaller peptides. In this way, they are more absorbed in the body very well. There aren’t many studies on collagen supplements. But those that prevail show promise for benefits in the following areas:
- Muscle mass. A 2019 study liberated active men put on view an exhortation. In this, he combined collagen peptide supplements and strength training. And it results in increased muscle mass and strength more than a placebo.
- Muscle Arthritis. A 2017 animal study laid out an advancement. Advancement demonstrated the effects of supplying collagen supplements to mice with post-traumatic osteoarthritis (PTOA). The results indicated that giving supplements may play a protective role in the
1- Disease development.
- Skin elasticity. A 2019 study showed that women took a collagen supplement. Taking supplementation improves skin appearance and elasticity. Collagen also aids to enhance the appearance of skin by reducing lines and wrinkles.
- Gut syndrome: Some medicine specialists also defend using collagen supplements to treat the leaky gut syndrome.
The Side Effects Of Taking Collagen Supplements:
Taking Collagen Supplements is thought out to be safe and secure. Yet, one should always consult a doctor before including collagen in their diet plan. Doing this will entitle the user to detect the potential risks and also if the product will work for them. If any, the possible side effects of ingesting collagen are pretty mild. They include:
- Heaviness and uneasiness in the stomach.
Apart from these, there are no potential health risks of taking collagen in adults.
Natural food sources:
- Collagen found in the connective tissues of animal food.
- One particularly rich source is bone broth.
- For instance, it’s found in the immense amount of chicken and pork skin.
- It can make by boiling the bones of chicken and other animals.
- Gelatin is generally cooked collagen, so it’s very high in the amino acids needed to produce it.
- Yet, there’s debate over whether to consume collagen-rich foods. Actually, it increases the levels of this protein in your body.
When you eat protein, it’s cracked down into amino acids and then reconstructed. So the collagen you eat wouldn’t translate straight into higher levels in your body.
Nutrients That Increase Collagen Production:
Proline: In cheese, soy, and cabbage, egg whites, meat.
Anthocyanidins: In blackberries, blueberries, cherries, and raspberries.
Vitamin C: In peppers, broccoli, strawberries, etc.
Copper: In nuts, red meat, shellfish, and some drinking water.
Vitamin A: Existing in animal-derived foods and in plant foods as beta-carotene.
Things That Damage Collagen:
Maybe it’s even more important to avoid the following collagen-destroying behaviors:
Eating too much sugar and refined carbs: Sugar interferes with collagen’s ability to repair itself. Lessen your consumption of added sugar and refined carbs.
Getting too much sunshine: Ultraviolet radiation can reduce collagen production. Avoid excessive sun exposure.
Smoking: Smoking reduces collagen production. It can damage wound healing and lead to wrinkles.
Autoimmune disorders: Some autoimmune disorders, such as lupus, can also impair collagen.
- Taking a little extra collagen supplement is not harmful. But you have to take more than one to three scoops each day. Along with this supplement, you can also use some other powders. For instance plant protein powder, food-based protein powder, etc.
- You may feel uneasiness in the body in the form of gas and puffing out. It only happens when you take a high dose of collagen supplement. So you should balance your scale and consume the ideal amount of collagen.
- After too much exhaustion, some people feel thirsty. That time you listen to your body needs and drink lots of water.
- If you have a kidney disorder or kidney complaint at that time. Without consulting a doctor, you should not take a collagen supplement. When you have a kidney stone, you must drink a lot of water. Also, it needs to maintain a B6 level, and should not take the overdose of collagen supplement. Consult your doctor and decide the correct dosage, then it will be helpful, or else it can have its side effects too.
- You may encounter headaches, sleeping problems, and giddiness. So that’s why it is beneficial to go to the doctor.
Well, here I explain everything related to Collagen and also explain the answer to the question of how long does it take for collagen supplements to work? But whenever you are taking any kind of medicine or supplements please never forget to concern with your doctor first.